Friday, October 31, 2008

Pausing to remember

October 30th will be a day etched in my memory forever.This day, ten years ago was the day of my amputation, which cements it as a day that changed my life forever. As I pause to reflect on where my life has gone since that fateful day in 1998, I can say that the only things that I lost with my right foot are the ability to drive a standard transmissioned car, and to bowl, and I am certain that I could re-train myself to bowl if I ever wanted to. I can also say with full conviction that God loves me. I have been given so many blessings over the last ten years that I can't count them all, but I do want to give recognition to a few of them. Now you should be able to guess what the greatest blessing in my life has been. I think that if you were to look in the dictionary for the words "True Love'" you would undoubtedly see my darling wife's picture next to the definition. She truly is what love , and support are all about. In the last ten years I've given her more reasons to give up on me than I can count, and I'm not even counting last months car wreck after running a red light. She is still, however standing steadfast next to me showing me more love than sometimes I feel I deserve. I have also been blessed with the love and support of a great family, and good friends whom I love with all my heart and give thanks for daily. I have been given the support of wonderful in-laws. Dad and Bobbye have never been more than just a phone call away and they have always had our backs. Their support of us over the last ten years has been truly Heaven-sent. I can't however speak about being Heaven -sent without mentioning our dear friends the Prince family. My sister from another mother Maura has dad such a profound impact on us over the last year by instilling in us a desire to improve ourselves that I will be always be grateful to her and love her like the sister I never had.
I guess to sum this all up some people feel sorry for people who have lost a limb. I hope no one does for me. Heavenly Father has really taken good care of me.


4 comments:

Mama D said...

TEN years? Seriously? Wow, time flies! We had been here for 15 months at that point... We must have still been serving together in the nursery!

You are astounding and inspirational, Eric. Your attitude and perspective help me deal with my own challenges.

Thanks for giving us all reason to pause and remember our blessings!

Corrie- said...

Eric, thanks for the heads-up about your new music. I LOVE Christmas music and you have a lot of goodies here. I've enjoyed listening to them. I may just steal a few for my own blog!

Papa D said...

You da' man, Eric. You know I love you, but I'm not sure you know how much I admire you.

As for your wife, as one of the speakers said in West Chester today, you definitely "over-chicked". *grin*

Pampered Princess said...

Hey Bro! Congrats on staying mobile over the last 10 years. Don't give up. Your best days are still in front of you. I'm so grateful that we get to spend extra time in each other's company in nursery and when I come to see you and Syl each week. I've gotten to know you so much better. I'm totally jealous of your computer "savviness".
By the way, I "tagged" you on my blog. Check it out and play along.

"Smile, God loves you."

"Smile, God loves you."